Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Road Not Taken... Robert Frost

This piece was created for a client of mine recently. 
He secretly contacted me and told me a story of his wife and daughter
reading this poem together.  His wife mentioned that it was one of her
Favorite poems (Mine, too). So, he asked if I could create a calligraphic
piece with illumination in time for her birthday, April 23rd, 2013.

The pictures don't do it justice, really, as it turned out even nicer than what
it shows.  I used Instacoll and 23K Patent gold for the "T", watercolors for
the vines and Ziller Black Powder Ink for the lettering.  We discussed what
he wanted and he liked the traditional qualities of Black on White so we stuck
with that adding a little color as a meandering border.




When it was all said and done, my client loved it and also emailed me
later, saying how much his wife had loved the surprise, too!  I will quote his
exact words:
Trish,

Thank you so much for all your hard work and talent.
I want to let you know that my wife, Wendy, loved! her birthday gift. 
We will both enjoy it for years to come.
I would recommend you very highly!
I'll send you a pic once we get it back from the framers.
Best,
Steve




I hold this poem near and dear to my heart because this was at the
top of the hill where I lived and grew up at my grandmothers' house
The Rockwell Homestead, in Hadley, New York, for most of my life
and it still stands on the green today! It says,
"I took the road less traveled and that made all the difference!"

..........................

As an addendum... the client sent me pictures of the piece after they framed it.
I had to alter it a little due to the flash, but here is it's final look.



No comments:

Post a Comment